270-774-7472 pureair@scrtc.com

About Mold

Q: Is mold in a house dangerous?

A: Yes.  When mold is growing in a home, toxic spores are being released that are carried by the HVAC ductwork into every room of the structure. The spores are then inhaled by the occupants and can cause serious medical problems.

Q: Is mold harmful to breathe?

A: Mold is definitely harmful to breathe. The type of mold, the amount of mold present, and a person’s individual tolerance levels are all factors that determine how severely mold affects the human body.  Mold growth often occurs in hidden places inside a home and can be the root cause for a number of unexplained, “mysterious” illnesses experienced by people living in the structure.

Q: What effects does mold have on people?

A: Depending on the type of mold and a person’s genetic predispositions,  illnesses ranging from sinus infections and allergies to chronic fatigue, neurological dysfunction, anxieties, and, even,  Alzheimer’s disease can result from prolonged exposure to mycotoxins (i.e. the toxins produced by molds).  Mold-related illnesses can be very serious.  However, mycotoxins in the body can prove difficult for family doctors to measure.  Therefore, If you feel sick–and the doctors are not sure why–getting your home tested for mold is a good idea.

Q: Can I use bleach to get rid of mold?

A: NO! This is a common misconception. While bleach may be fine for cleaning small amounts of mold on hard, non-porous surfaces, it is not the best way to address a serious mold issue.  Bleach will cause the mold spores to lose their color and appear to be gone.  However, the spores often not destroyed.   In fact, bleach can actually increase the rate of growth with some molds due to the added moisture and because the bleach can “kick” the mold into “survival mode” (causing it sporulate even more).  

Q: What causes mold to grow?

A: Mold spores exist naturally and can be found almost everywhere.  Normally, in small numbers, they do not pose a problem.  However, when they are allowed to collect in an environment where sufficient moisture is present, they will begin to grow quite rapidly.  This particularly true in environments where the relative humidity is allowed to stay above 60% for extended periods of time.   

Q: How do I get rid of mold?

A: There are number of over-the-counter paints and coatings that will impede the growth of mold.  However, this approach will generally only slow down the problem, not fix it.  Moreover, antimicrobial paints and coatings generally contain pesticides that can, themselves, prove harmful to human and animal health.  To get your home completely free of mold call a certified remediation company like Pure Air Solutions.

Give us a call to make an appointment for a free estimate.

270-774-7472

Call Now Button